Monday, January 18, 2010

A Music Culture That Influenced Me (#1)

A music culture that has influenced me greatly is "pop music". Even though I was brought up on listening to Rock music and went through my punk stage, there is still some strange attraction to pop music. Pop music (the genre not the type) are typically simple in nature, repetitive (therefore easy to catch on to), and are easy to relate too because they are emotional. http://www.newworldencyclopedia.org/entry/Pop_music When I'm sad, angry or upset about a boy/life/school/work, I always hear a song that applies in someway to my situation and it makes me feel better knowing that I'm not the only person who has ever felt this way. I tend to think of pop music as feel good music. It makes me smile, singalong, and to dance (and who can be sad while they are dancing). I was a cheerleader back in my day and our performances included dance and stunt routines to pop music because they have danceable rythms. One of my former squads It's hard to get the crowd going when Mozart or polka is playing. Even though I've grown out of boy bands, to this day, hearing any Backstreet Boys song makes me smile and laugh. One of the interesting things about pop is that it combines many different genres and is nonspecific. A pop song can contain elements of rock, jazz, hip hop, rap, or any other type of music. This helps to create variety while listening because it is so diverse in nature. Even a specific artist typically doesn't produce the same song over and over again. There is a pressure to adapt and change so that people don't get bored with their music. Seeing as how "ADD" our society is, I think this helps people maintain one radio station in the car or at least be able to make it through an entire CD without switching continuously because pop music has become inherently ADD.

No comments:

Post a Comment