Monday, March 29, 2010

Blog Post 10



While watching this video, I immediately recognized the song not because I am well versed in opera, but because its the song Robin Williams sings in Mrs. Doubtfire when he is doing the voice work for the cartoon bird. I thought this was interesting after reading about how opera took shape and filtered into the popular culture in the 1800's. Its fascinating that it still pops up like that today.
This is Largo al factotum (della citta!) from The Barber of Seville by Gioachino Rossini. This particular song is fast paced and lively. It reflects the character's mood and personality quite well. There is a full orchestra playing, but the whole orchestra does not play at once. Different instruments play at different times to create unique sounds that convey certain emotions and attitudes. The music also supports the vocals instead of competing with or overshadowing. The singer uses a lot of vibratos in his singing. The texture of the song is varies; it is noticeably thinner in some places and much thicker in others depending on the instruments playing. This creates depth in the song.
Only the main character sings in this piece. All other actors on stage are silent and they simply dance and move around. Their emotion is conveyed throughout the music and their movements on stage. The focus stays on the main singer and the other actors play a supporting role. None of them takes away focus from the singer even when doing aerobatics because the attention is still caught by the person singing. He is even dressed more elaborately than everyone else thus commanding more attention.

2 comments:

  1. Allow me to first introduce myself since I will be commenting on your blog today. Hello, my name is Brittany Stanley and I am a sophomore, nineteen years old, and majoring in interdisciplinary studies. I viewed your blog ten and it looks great to me. Here are a few other performer descriptions I noticed. Though you couldn’t see the actual audience or musicians in the youtube.com clip as a viewer you know that there is an audience because of the clapping and the guy bowing. As the guy sung you could hear the music playing under her voice. I believe the guy performing was a tenor because none of his vocal notes were really unfathomable. He sung in the highest natural male singing voice to me, it was almost as if he was talking through the song with a few high pitches. The stage was used fantastically when it came to space because everyone remained active and moved forward, backward, right and left. There was only one singer but throughout his performance he interacted with the other performers on stage. The opera performance itself was like a big play. There was repetition/ repeating structures in the lyrics of the song and throughout the melody you could identify the high points of the contour. Now I will bring my commenting to an end. I enjoyed the clip you choose.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I chose to comment on your blog entry since we had the same video as our example. I like how you note the supporting actors of this performance more thoroughly than I did. It better conveys the visual aspect of the performance the I probably had. Mentioning the types of instruments might further edify the reader on the phonic aspect of the performance. Also, it's humorous how we noted different modern sources of parody of this piece.

    ReplyDelete